California Child SupportSkip Ahead
What Is Child SUpport?
Following divorce and custody cases, child support is one of the biggest ongoing expenses parents face.
Child support payments fund the continuing care of your children and are part of your duty as a parent.
They are court-ordered payments that provide for food, shelter, clothing, and other necessities.
While many other areas of family law are more open to interpretation, child support has rigid boundaries and definitions.
In California, child support takes a wide array of financial factors into account, but it follows a strict, uniform formula.
How Are Payments Calculated?
California has a standard mathematical formula to determine child support, following this formula determines the amount of child support a parent pays.
- CS: the child support amount.
- K: the total of both parents’ income.
- HN: the high net, or the total disposable income for the higher-earning parent.
- H%: the percentage of time the higher-earning parent is responsible for the child.
- TN: the combined net monthly total disposable income between both parents.
Related Reading: Breaking Down The Child Support Formula (In-depth)
Calculate Your Own Responsibility
- Collect specific information about your income, finances, and taxes.
- You need your most recent tax returns, paycheck stubs, and tax forms, like W-2s or 1099s.
- You need any paperwork that documents disability or unemployment benefits,
- child health care costs,
- mandatory fees like union dues or retirement contributions,
- job-related expenses,
- child support payments for other children,
- spousal support payments,
- or similar costs, collect those.
How Goldberg Jones Can Help
In-Depth AssessmentNo two cases are the same. Ever. Our managing attorney, Zephyr Hill, will assess your situation and explore YOUR legal options. Family law is all we do. Our San Diego-based lawyers provide real answers over the phone at no charge to you. No, really.
ExperienceIs your case complicated? Do you and your ex have a great deal of conflict? Does your child have special needs? Whatever your situation, we’re committed to protecting your rights as a father and will make active, assertive moves to fight for you in child support cases.
Knowledgeable InformationLaws regulating child custody and other family law matters vary from state to state. It’s vital to have an attorney with an in-depth understanding of the specific laws governing your case.