san diego custody modifications

Child Custody Modifications

Whether custody terms were set out in the divorce decree, or you were never married but have a court-approved custody agreement, you can petition for child custody modifications to change the specifics of the day-to-day parenting arrangements.

How does a child custody modification work?

Typically, courts require a showing that there has been a substantial change in circumstance in addition to other factors to materially change a Custody Order unless the child is in immediate danger or for other sufficient reasons.

How do you qualify for a modification?

To make a child custody modification, you must show a change in circumstances. These factors often include:

  • one parent losing a job,
  • drastic income change,
  • and shifts in a child’s needs,
  • substantial variations in parenting time,
  • a new baby,
  • and other causes also factor into the decision.

Substantial variations in parenting time, a new baby, and other causes also factor into the decision. Any of these may necessitate adjusting parenting time. If this is the case, you can petition the court for a modification.

Remaining a part of your child’s daily life isn’t always as simple as it sounds. This is especially true if your ex actively tries to cut you out of the picture or limit your visitation.

It’s important to you and your case to stand up and not let your ex push you around. An occasional change of schedule is one thing, but if it becomes a pattern, you should consult your attorney to learn what you can do.

Child custody modifications have a lasting impact on your relationship with your child. There’s bound to be friction, and tempers often flare, but it’s important to avoid common mistakes that hurt child custody modifications.

Related Reading: Parental Alienation
Related Reading: Can I Keep My Ex From Relocating With My Child/ren?
Related Reading: Can I Relocate With My Child/ren?

Have Questions About Divorce?

Phone Questions Answered By Our Managing Attorney For Free!
Free Case Review
1 (800) Divorce